Monday, June 23, 2014

Really, I don't go looking for fights.....

I know most people probably read my blog and Facebook posts and think I walk around looking for fights to jump into!  Really, I promise, I don't!  Maybe in my younger days when my passions were still needing MUCH sanctification, but not now that I am older and really have learned to dislike conflict I would just as soon go about my day minding my own business as to get into a fight.  BUT...because God has made me with this passion...and with this inability to let injustice go unnoticed, I find myself...like today...fighting when all I wanted to do was get my exercise!

I never walk in the afternoon, so the timing now has me shaking my head at God.  I had some work I wanted to make sure got done, and my days tend to get away from me quickly, or some emergency pops up that has to be handled.  So I got my work done before my walk which put me leaving about 1:30.  I started not to go..rain showers this morning meant it was way muggy...but determined to get this weight off and having NO KIDS at home today, I decided a walk would be good!

I was at about the first mile marker.  I was minding my own business...listening to my Bethel sermon as Bill Johnson was starting to pray for people to have torment removed from their life when I see quite a ways down a couple.  I couldn't tell if they were teens or young adults.  But it was obvious by the dancing they were doing that they were in a fight. So I slowed my pace and removed my ear-buds so I could watch and listen.  She took off, he called her back.  He jumped up and down some more. She walked off...he stood there a minute, then took off at a full run towards her. I cleared the area from behind the fence just in time to see her turn toward him where he ripped the sunglasses off her face and threw them on the ground shattering them.  So I hollered, 'Hey! You!  Get away from her!"  He runs back to me at full speed....I'm thinking, now what?!  But at the same time totally calm.  Amazing what knowing you are walking in the power and protection of the Holy Spirit will do!

He starts talking 90 to nothing..."I didn't mean it...it's not what you think...I bought those glasses....my dad beat my mom....just stand here and talk to me..." I kept trying to give my response to each of those, but he just kept talking....when he said that I stopped and said, "I will stand her and talk to you all day long, but you lay one more finger on that girl and I will call the police."  She hears that and comes running over, "no don't call anyone.  He didn't mean it.  It runs in his family. He bought me the glasses."

I finally got her to go home after telling her it's NEVER ok for a man to be aggressive with you while he asked me to help him look for the ring she had evidently thrown in the grass that he had just given her.  He said he would call his mom so I could talk to her if I didn't call the police.  I stood there...then he took off.  So I posted it on our neighborhood FB page. No details.  Just a description and the glasses being ripped off part so that hopefully the parents of at least the girl can contact me and I can share with them what I saw so they can know what is going on.

I know some would say I might should've stayed out of it.  Well, let me tell you, when you have a daughter who you know is getting the living daylights beat out of her on a regular basis, you tend to look at situations like that and not have the ability to walk away. I think I would have intervened on that level even before having an abused daughter, but now, any young man...or man....who wants to act in an aggressive or abusive way in front of me to any female, better get ready!  You can ask my boys, if they hit one of their sisters, they get the wrath of their mother and they have a consequence and they get the lecture...I know we're not supposed to lecture...they get the lecture of how a man should ALWAYS treat a lady! Maybe nothing would've happened beyond what did.  But I know there were other people closer than me just watching it happen. I wasn't ok with that.  Why?  Because when my daughter was being drug through a parking lot by her hair, I wish someone would have knocked the living daylights out of that jerk! When he had his hands around her throat cutting off her air supply while she was pregnant, I wish someone would have stopped him!  I still wish someone would intervene!

That teen was someone's daughter.  I don't know if they think that is acceptable behavior for her boyfriend or not, but it's not in my books, and I was the one who was there.  So I stepped in...to the fight....all I was doing was going for a walk!

No comments: