Monday, March 16, 2015

Alive and Active

I had to smile as I pulled up my blog to write this post! The title of the last post was "still waiting".  You will see the irony in that in just a minute!

One of Ava's biggest struggles is memory.  Learning math facts, memorizing spelling words, things like that are a real struggle.  And she may have it down today, but then tomorrow it may be as if we never even talked about it.

So yesterday when I picked her up from her church service and she told me she got an extra treat because she already said her memory verse, I am sure I had a puzzled look on my face.  She danced around with that light that shines so brightly in her saying, "I already memorized it!  I did it during the service!  I know it already!"  Then she proceeds to say it....."Wait on the Lord, be strong and courageous. Wait on the Lord Psalm 27 dot, dot 14" (she really says "dot, dot"!!)  I was impressed.  But can I confess there was a thought that passed through my mind that went something like, "we'll see if she can still say it in the morning."

She proceeded to repeat it all throughout the evening last night.  Enough, that I now have it memorized! And my memory is mediocre at best! God in His ever humbling ways brought this exact verse to mind just this morning as I was becoming impatient with some circumstances in my life and wanted to just run away from them!  "Wait on the Lord! be strong (some translations then say) and don't lose hope. Wait on the Lord."  One of the things that Ava said when she told us she memorized it was that God said "Wait on the Lord" twice! John reminded her that when God repeats himself, He really wants us to listen!

Again, God has used my children to teach me a couple of valuable lessons!  First, the Word of God is alive and active!  It is sharper than a double edged sword and will divide bone and marrow.  No, Ava may not be able to remember that 4+6=10, but the Word of God being alive and active planted itself in the deepest recess of who she is and easily comes to her mind...even this morning after sleeping on it! And second, Miss Ava reminded me that waiting on God is important....after all, He said it twice!

No comments: