Friday, June 17, 2011

The Process

I had a friend share a link with me yesterday that really hits the nail on the head, I think! I'm not usually really vocal about my frustration with the "Church" being so vocal in their political views, but then not really providing a solution to the social problems they are so quick to speak out against. But twice in the past week this has come up! Here is the link to a CNN Belief blog.

I am teaching an equipping class at church on adoption. I am using the If You Were Mine curriculum put out by Hope for Orphans which is an extension of Family Life. This past week, Dennis Rainey, the director of Family Life (at least I think that is his title), made a statement that has haunted me. He said something to the effect of maybe Roe V Wade has not been reversed because the Church (capital C) is not pro-adoption. What would we do with the millions of children who would need homes if they had not been aborted?

I am not trying to dis on the church here! I know there are plenty of people doing good things. There are more Christians adopting now than ever before...but is still isn't enough! And adoption isn't the only answer! We need orphan care ministries, foster families, people willing to train moms and dads how to be moms and dads so they don't lose their children. There is somewhere anyone could plug into in order to help with this epidemic. No, not everyone is called to adoption. But aren't we called to be God's hands and feet? Can we really look in the mirror and say it's not my problem? I read some of the comments on the post I shared above. They were interesting. I wanted to get mad, but realized that so many of them were true. One said that Christians believe life begins at conception and ends at birth. His point was that we are willing to fight for them to be born but then not willing to do what it takes to give them a quality life after their born. Ouch! Are we really LIVING the gospel if we are only willing to talk about political convictions and rally for laws to change but not ready to be inconvenienced enough to take one of those children you are fighting to live into your home for the rest of their life? Just some thoughts.....

No comments: