Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rejection

Rejection. Something I really never have thought a lot about...until the past couple of months. I have had rejection in my life. Mainly at the hand of friends in my pre-teen and teen years. It was hurtful at the time, and in that moment may have felt like the end of the world. But it was not the deep rejection that I have found myself wrestling with over the past little bit. In dealing with adopted children over the past 9 years, I have come to learn a very important lesson: they do not come into your home appreciating all you have rescued them from! That may sound like a "duh" statement, but really, I have seen so many parents who bring children home - especially older children - expecting them to be grateful on some level for what they are doing for them. I knew not to expect gratitude. But in the day to day life of living out parenting a new-teen that has a history of major rejection and pain, I find myself falling into this thought pattern! Why do you not appreciate what you have knowing what you came from? Why do you not love us for what we are giving you? Why do you not just lap up my love instead of fighting against it? As God always does, He is using the parenting of my newest daughter to teach me more about Him and refine me! As I parent her and love her in my flesh, God is revealing a LOT of FLESH that is in me! I don't like it! Parenting my newest daughter has brought out rejection in my own life. It has brought to light a signifcant relationship that I have hit a road block in because of the rejection it has brought. In some ways I am thankful because it is giving me a glimpse of what my daughter is having to go through. It is showing me some of the pain and fear that she is having to overcome to love me. The same fear I have of letting this person into my heart and trusting this person to not break my heart is the same fear and pain she feels as she struggles to allow herself to love me and accept my love. This really came to light this morning as I sought out guidance in the area of rejection. One of my favorite tools for fighting spiritual battles in my life is Beth Moore's Praying God's Word. I've used it alot lately! Concerning rejection, she says, "Rejection in and of itself is not a stronghold. Our reaction to rejection determines whether we become bound by it...How do you overcome rejection? By applying large doses of God's love to your wounded heart daily and by allowing Him to renew your mind until the rejected thinks like the accepted." So that's what I am doing! As I prayed through the scripture prayers Beth has in this section, a certain scripture pierced my heart. Isaiah 49: 15 says, "Can a woman foget her nursing cihld and have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may foget, but I will not forget you." It hit me two ways. First, I have children who I birthed and nursed. That is a bond that is like none other! No wonder God uses it to speak to His people! Yet there are women in this world because we live in a fallen world who because of their own hurts or circumstances do not have that bond! I am parenting some of those children. It creates a spiritual and emotional void, a pain like no other. While I have four children who might fall into this category, my oldest experienced it on a level the others did not for a time frame they did not. The wound is deep. The rejection real. The pain almost unbearable. Her mother forgot her. She forgot her long before she was removed from her. "Forgot" in the sense of not caring for, not loving, not nurturing, not making feel like the precious gift of God she is! Rejected. Fast forward 15 years. Now this new woman wears the title "mother". Guess what?! It's not a warm fuzzy title for this wounded child! It is a name associated with pain, hurt, despair, failure: REJECTION. Over the past few weeks, it has become evident that the feelings of my daughter for her birth mother are being projected onto me in a huge way! It hurts! I wish I could say I have responded with love and grace and mercy. Sometimes I have, but most of the time, I have recoiled. I have not lashed out, but I have withdrawn. Why? Well, because I am dealing with my own feelings of rejection in another relationship in my life. Her rejection hurts. I don't want to hurt. So my defense mechanism goes into play...withdraw. Oh what a mess! The enemy says I wasn't stable enough to adopt this precious one. The enemy says I should have gotten my act together first. The enemy says I made a mistake. The enemy says give her back. But God says, I want to use her rejection to bring yours to light and your rejection to heal hers! How do I figure that? Because Psalm 118 tells me that the stone the builders rejected became the chief corner stone! What the enemy means for evil, God will not only use for good, but will build a whole new life, a whole new work of God on it! Just like He did Jesus! In fact, this verse from Psalm 118 is repeated 7 (the perfect number!) in the New Testament as reference to Jesus and in Ephesians 2:20, it spells it out for us in case we have missed the inference: "Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone." Does this diminish my pain of the rejection in my significant relationship? No. Does it diminish the pain of the rejection of my precious daughter by her first mother? No. But what it does is give hope! It tells the enemy to SHUT UP! It tells me and my precious daughter that there is healing. BUT (and here is where so many adoptive parents get stuck) it does mean I have to keep my focus on Christ! I have to walk through this! I have to deal with MY issue of rejection in order to help walk her through hers. If I don't choose to do that, then the rejection I feel from my daughter will continue to make me recoil. It will continue to make me withdraw never allowing me to be the picture of Christ and His reconciliation for my daughter that He offers her and me! I am called to be light in darkness....and for now that means right here in my own home! I am called to tell the next generation of His goodness...and that starts with my children! God did not place this child of His in my home to put a roof over her head and food in her tummy...she had that where she was! He brought her here to teach her of His love and His goodness. He brought her here to teach her of His ways so that she will be ready for the good works He has prepared in advance for her to do. He brought her here because He needs us to train her up in the way she should go....unfortunatly for her and us, we are in serious boot camp since we got a late start! But God will redeem that! He promises He will! So what now? Great revelation, but what does it mean for day to day life and getting to the other side of rejection? For me, it means acknowleding my feelings of rejection instead of stuffing them down and pretending they don't exist. Then taking those feelings and applying Romans 8 - I am an heir of God and fellow heir with Christ! Romans goes on to say that I suffer with Him (He suffered the ultimate rejection on every level!) so that I may also be glorified with Him. And even more exciting, Paul goes on to say that the sufferings of my today are not worthy to be compared to the glory that is to be revealed to us! If I will get a kingdom perspective instead of getting bogged down in feelings, emotions, circumstances, then I will push through this, learn even more about the character of God and in the mean time walk my daughter through her rejection and hopefully teach her something more about the character of God as well! Even as I write it, the battle in my mind rages. Choosing the kingdom perspective means letting go of my "right" to my pain that has been caused me by another. I don't want to do that. Period. But if I am going to call myself a Chrsitian and walk this path God has laid out for me, I must. Just like Christ laid down all His rights to go to the cross for me, I must now lay down my rights and walk the kingdom road for Him! The practicality of that is going to mean a daily if not hourly battle of putting on my armor. I have started writing scriptures that speak to me about God's love for me, my position in Him, my abilities in Him on index cards. I will have to keep those with me. I will have to be disciplined to pull them out when the rejection creeps back in. I will have to read them and let the balm of God's word heal my wounds as I walk this path. I am just in a season where I literally rely on God and His word for every breath that I take! The pain of this relationship threatans to overtake me just about every hour of every day. The enemy would love nothing more! But I can't let that happen! My prayer is that God returns to me the joy of my salvation and renews a steadfast spirit with in me! I have been a boat on a wave tossed back and forth for the past few weeks, maybe even months. I am looking to the one who spoke and the waves stopped to calm my sea and set my boat on His course - making me steadfast! And I am having to trust that not only is He able, but that He will! I was there once! I know the feeling of "walking on water" in the sense of seeing the circumstances around me but believing God and walking by faith instead of what I see around me. I lost that somewhere. I'm ready to get it back! My children require that I get it back! My life requires that I get it back! Here we go! One breath at a time...breathing in and breathing out...

2 comments:

Danielle said...

My favorite is "Just keep swimmng." I am reminded of that often.

One thing I noticed as a parent, I spend a lot of time praying. God is so good...soveriegn. And in the midst of all the chaos, hurt, and strive He's always faithful to carry us through.

Praying that you find that peace and joy that only Jesus can bring...and that love would encompass you all.

In Him,
Danielle

Jen said...

praying for you my dear sister in Christ.

I know what you mean.

really.

=)