Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Being a Bulldog

There is a woman I greatly admire who told me one morning at coffee that she saw me as a bulldog - when I get a hold of something, I latch on and don't let go. She meant it in a good way....meaning when a fight comes along for my family or my faith, I don't give up. The funny part is when she told me that, I felt much more like a weenie dog! I had lost all desire to "fight" and all faith that fighting would even get me anywhere but worn out.

Funny the things God uses to bring you out of pits! Those words that she probably didn't think mattered much have played over and over again in my head as I have clawed my way out of the pit I was in! If someone who doesn't even know me that well can see the fighter in me, then why would I lay down and let the enemy have me, my future and most importantly, my family?! This bulldog had let her guard down and was snoozing with the drool coming out her jowls while the enemy was having a field day with my family! And that's all it takes....just falling asleep. Satan doesn't have to actively pursue us or get in our business. If we fall asleep on our watch, especially us women who are charged with keeping our home and building up our husbands, then satan just sits back and watches as we and our families destroy ourselves.

We are by nature sinful (Psalm 51:5, 58:3; Ephesians 2:3). If left to our natural desires, we will destroy ourselves, and so will our husbands, and so will our children. God has reminded me of this so many times over the past few weeks! He has shown me again and again the fight that is ensuing for my family. I can't make the decisions for my children or my husband, but I CAN war for them! I can get on my knees and pray that God would protect them, that He would remove temptations, that He would strengthen their faith, etc, etc before they even get out of bed in the morning. And when I don't do that, I have fallen asleep on my watch!

Well, this bulldog has woken up, shaken off the drool and latched on to the things trying to destroy my family! And I'm not only latched on, I'm shaking my head! When I finally let go of these things, they are going to know not to mess with me or my family again! This bulldog is back on guard and no one goes down on my watch! Come on all you moms and wives! Get your bulldog on! Latch on and shake with me! Together we will take back what is already ours!

No comments: