Saturday, March 26, 2016

Saturday was for waiting....

It's Saturday. Yesterday was Good Friday, and tomorrow is Easter. I don't think I have ever seen any significance in Saturday. Until today.

As I was reading through the crucifixion story this morning, a couple of versus stood out that I have never really noticed. Matthew 27:62 says "now on the next day". That would have been Saturday. Jesus' death and resurrection had been prophesied since there was a need for a Savior. The signs of the Old Testament were being fulfilled. On Friday they witnessed Jesus hung on the cross, humiliated, broken, and beaten. They watched as the mid-day sky turned pitch black, and they felt the ground quake beneath their feet as the earth shook for her King! But on Saturday, it was quiet. They were only left with the memories of yesterday and a dead Savior. Where is the hope in that? Even as they talked among themselves about all Jesus had said at the Last Supper, they had no way of knowing for sure what tomorrow would bring! I am sure they began to even doubt of the darkness was really real! "Did the earth really shake or, was I just a little woosy from standing in the sun all day?" Thomas doubted. I am sure Peter lamented his denial wishing he had a do-over. Circumstances and hard evidence left nothing but despair and mourning. On Saturday there was nothing to do but wait.

Wait for the third day....when the promise was to be fulfilled. No amount of wishing, praying, or pouring over the facts would make Sunday come sooner! All there was to do on Saturday was to wait!

That really made me think about my wait. There are SO many things I feel like I am waiting on! So many promises and dreams that I believe are from God, but circumstances just seem to leave me hopeless so many times.

As I walked through my quiet, peaceful house this evening checking on all the kids one last time before heading to bed, I felt an enormous peace rush over me as I walked down the stairs and had the realization that morning is almost here! Sunday brings the good news that He. Is. Alive.

Sunday brings the fulfillment of the prophesies and the promises...but we can't get to Sunday without Saturday.

So today, I asked God to teach me how to wait well. I don't want to passively wait for the promises and Words God has spoken to me. I don't think God expects us to just coast through life waiting for him to show up like a fairy God-Mother (no-pun intended) and grant our wishes. But I also know that when the Saturday becomes long, I become anxious, doubtful, and even sometimes bitter. So today, I am asking God to show me how to wait expectantly and with full trust in Him!

What are you waiting for? Let's wait well because..... SUNDAY IS COMING!

No comments: