Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Journey: Foster Due Date


I was talking to another foster parent the other day, and she asked, "when's your next court date?" I had to smile because I realized how often I ask and am asked that these days! That is usually the first question I ask a fellow foster parent if I know they are fostering to adopt. And it is usually the first question we are asked by people who know the process of foster to adopt. So it hit me that this is the "when are you due" question for foster parents! When you see a friend who is pregnant, or find out a friend is pregnant, you usually ask, "When are you due?" But for foster parents, that question is "when is your court date?" because that court date is what determines if that precious child gets to be in your family forever or will be moved or returned to their biological family. Just an interesting parallel I drew as we continue to walk this new journey of fostering!

No comments: