Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Rights

"Never discard a conviction. If it is important enough for the Spirit of God to have brought it to your mind, it is that thing He is detecting. You were looking for a great thing to give up. God is telling you of some tiny thing; but at the back of it there lies the central citadel of obstinacy; I will not give up my right to myself - the thing God intends you to give up if ever you are going to be a disciple of Jesus Christ." ~Oswald Chambers

I am finding more and more that my "rights" are getting in the way of what God is calling me to do. We Amercians have a real problem with our "rights" when it comes to our Christian walk. We are kind of born feeling entitled just because we are Americans and that is what Americans are..entitled. In the political realm that is a good thing. It makes us fight for what we feel is important to our way of live...freedom. But in the Christian walk, it is deadly.

It has been a rough week at our house. So many obstacles. After one too many screams yesterday, I had to walk out the door and go for a little walk...John took over for me in my absence. I cried out to God on that walk that He would deliver me from my circumstances. I was overwhelmed. But what I was really asking Him for was to have my "normal" life back. Times like yesterday I really want to go back to the American dream of 2.5 kids and a white picket fence. On good days, I realize I have gone above and beyond that dream with my 7 kids. But on bad days, it feels like those 4.5 extra kids will send me to an early if not immediate grave.

Those are the times I take my eyes of the One who has blessed me with these children and this life. It is hard. It is overwhelming most days right now. But He has called me. He has asked me to take up my cross and follow Him...every day. He has promised when I do that, He will never leave me nor forsake me and that He will not give me more than I can handle IN HIM!

I read the quote I started with this morning in my devotion and it made me reflect on yesterday in a different light. I did not "discard a conviction" - I had once again taken up my "rights" to what I thought my life should look like.

God brought this to my attention in a big way a couple of weeks ago. Older children in CPS care have to sign a paper that states they understand their "rights". I know whey they do it...it is a protection against adults coming in and taking what should be the child's or bullying them into giving them something they shouldn't. But when that child then becomes a member of a family, the "rights" mentality is still there. And in a family, that doesn't work very well.

We were discussing this with Paizley over a certain issue. She was asking some questions, and John made a profound statement. He said, "When you came into this family, you lost all your rights as an individual. Now you are part of the family and the only right you have is to belong." Immediately I heard the Holy Spirit say, "And so it is in My family!" You see, when I accepted Christ as not only my Savior, by my Lord also, I laid down all my rights! I don't have a right to anything anymore....accept to belong! John went on to tell Paizley that belonging to a family has great advantages over being alone. You have the protection of a roof over your head, a place at a table to eat, the love of a family who only wants what is best for you.....and again the Holy Spirit, "And so it is with My family!" We don't have any "rights" as a follower of Christ, but we have so many blessings! We are heir to an entire kingdom! We are promised peace beyond what the human brain can comprehend (and this week that alone is reason to belong!!!!), a powerful King to always go to battle for us, a Savior who sits at the Right Hand of God Almighty and intercedes for us day and night.

When I look at it from that perspective, I will gladly lay down any "right" I have to an American dream and take hold of the blessings that are mine as a member of God's family....a daughter of the King of Kings!

No comments: