Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Re-Entry

Re-Entry - that is the term I use for coming home. When you travel to a third world country, there is a re-entry phase you have to go through when you come back into our society of plenty! The first time I was in Africa and then returned home, I had to leave Wal-Mart the first time I was in there because I was just angry at the injustice of it all. Here we are with all we need and most of what we want while half way around the world there are people starving and dying.

I always thought that re-entry would get easier the more trips I took. But I am finding the exact opposite to be true. It seems that each return from Liberia makes it harder and harder to reconcile the two worlds. This time has been really difficult.

Partly because of the battle I am fighting and the waiting for people in a country with starving children to move so I can help their children. That is frustrating! But God reminds me daily that He is still on the throne, and in HIS timing all will be in place for me to do what He is calling me to. I am just not very good at waiting....and I know the financial demands of running a children's home with 59 children and 14 staff...and I know our bank account balance! That brings a little fear to me...but God reminds me to trust Him, so I have to turn that over to him pretty much on an hourly basis right now!

But I digress! I have really struggled this time. I think in part because I saw more devastation this time. I went to places that are more remote. And then a big part of God's movement on this trip was meeting a man who works in a county (Liberia's word for "state") that is a two day drive from Monrovia. He showed me pictures of the village he has been working in. No one wears clothes! It is that remote and poverty stricken. They don't walk around unclothed because they don't know any better, they walk around unclothed because they don't have the resources to clothe themselves! There is more to this story, and I will be sharing it with all of you later. But for now, this is the part that has me stricken.

In my quiet time today, God took me to James. I only got through the first chapter. It was a great reminder about why God doesn't work on our time table. The first few verses are the wonderful words, "consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." Endurance...not something that is really a product of our society! You want something to eat, go to a fast food place or pop something in the microwave. If it takes more than an hour to prepare and cook, I usually skip it! Having trouble in your marriage, get a divorce. Don't like how your boss is treating you, quit and get a new job. And in the adoption world, I see more and more, the child doesn't "fit" your family, disrupt! We are a society of quick fixes and escape routes.

So this concept of endurance is foreign! I struggle with it on a daily basis. I know God is working in Liberia...and of course in my heart! But I want the tangible solutions NOW! Actually, I want them yesterday! I want adoptions moving so families can be united, finances are not a struggle, the work that God has called us to in Liberia outside adoptions can continue, etc, etc. But God is saying, wait and trust! I don't understand it! It makes no sense to me that God wouldn't allow us the resources to do the things He has called us to. It makes no sense to me that we have 33 children in an orphanage with parents, families, waiting to love them and hold them. But that is why God is God and not me! He sees the whole picture, and I just see one piece. So I must wait.

So there is the endurance part of it. But I have come to learn that waiting in the Christian walk is not a passive word, it is an active word. The wait is when God transforms me, then the outcome is just that much sweeter because I see His glory revealed.

As I continued to read James 1, the last verse pierced my heart. It is probably the most commonly quoted scripture in adoption circles: "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress." But there is more to that verse! As I read it, God pierced my heart. The last part is, "and to keep oneself unstained by the world." Wow! The word in the Greek for unstained means "spotless, without". I am to be without the world! The world is not to have its mark on me! Oh how I miss that mark!

I am learning something about myself....I am an all or nothing kind of gall. That might sound like a good trait, but it makes my life really difficult. It makes finding balance all but impossible! It means I have a hard time going to work when the family needs me, and it means having a hard time shutting work off when I come home. Especially the work I do since it is a ministry that involves people's children, hearts and even souls. I know any of you in ministry can relate!

This all or nothing trait really complicates re-entry! When I am in Liberia, I am looking at all the needs. I see so many that $50 will give them tuition for this year to graduate high school. Just $50, that is just a portion of my clothes budget for my family that already has full closets! But these people don't even have money to eat, much less $50 for school. That is just one example of a multitude! So when I am there, I am going through our budget in my mind...cutting back in all areas so that we can give more to people who really are in need. I am motivated. I am in that world, all in!

BUT....then I return home! I am overwhelmed by the needs I left behind. I start hearing the little voice in my head that says, "The needs are too many. You will never make a dent in them." Then I turn to my world, all in! My conviction to send our clothes budget to people needing tuition melts away when I see the perfect Easter dress for Ava even though she already has a pretty dress that would work just fine.

I am supposed to be unstained by this world. I know there are many ways that we can be "stained" by the world, but finances are a tough one for me and John! We buy into the world's lies that we have to have it all, and as Americans, we feel we deserve it all.

I am not saying we should sell all our possessions and live as paupers. God placed us here, in America, in this society, and it is ok to live here. But there is balance! While I believe God is ok with us having a nice home, cars that run, nice clothes to so we look presentable, I believe He is saddened by our excess. I believe He wishes we would look to others more.

This morning, He was convicting me. Don't put your American head in the sand and pretend like you didn't see what you saw! Do the work. It will be hard, but look at your budget. Examine your heart. See where you can sacrifice the desires to give someone a need! I am a long way from having this part of my life under God's authority! But this morning, He reminded me again that while He wants me to care for orphans and widows, He is just as concerned that I remain unstained by this world....and that includes in the game of keeping up with the Jones!

5 comments:

David and Carolyn said...

Thank you HollyAnn for sharing what the Lord Is teaching you through His Word. Isn't it exciting to dig up those nuggets of wisdom from our Master ? !!

In Christ,
Carolyn

Karen said...

I am so thankful that you posted this. I have been struggling witht the "re-entry" or "culture shock" since back & I always struggle the most with my family. Just today...Katie chose not to eat her food & let it go to waist...and my response...don't you get it! don't you see what I try to bring back to you? there are people that have to eat rice everyday just so they can survive & you are complaining? I just had to bite my lip & remember I am in a different place then they. I too thought I would be prepared & ready for the reentry, but found it worse this time than before. I was just thinking about you today & said "how can she do this time & time again?" I struggle not just because of the reentry but because I think I belong over there. I'll have to tell you more about that later!
Love ya...keep sharing your heart!

Andrea said...

HollyAnn,
What you said is SO true! When you come back it is almost like you don't really belong anywhere. It seems like you have one foot in one world and one foot in another. And yes, I can relate to the fact you feel guilty for having what we have. I would also look at things and think that I would just love to send things over. I would also think that I could do without this and that and give it to them. I will say that we do without a lot more because of what I seen and it does make me ill to see the waste of things here in the U.S. Yes we are allowed to enjoy things, but I understand what you are saying when you say that once you see what you see there, it truly changed you. Thank you HollyAnn!

Andrea

Amanda said...

First, I am so proud of you! Your faithfulness continues to amaze and encourage me. Secondly, though I have never been to Liberia, I feel like I struggle with re-entry on a daily basis. I read God's word, have a wonderful conversation with my Master, or whatever it may be...and then I turn around to see all that is before me. I am constantly fighting re-entry.

Just some practical advice that has really helped me chop away at my crazy, consumer, American ways. I am approaching this struggle/sin as any other. I am trying to purge my life of influences that alter my ability to live as God desires. For example: if a catalog (usually Pottery Barn Kids) comes in the mail...I throw it away before looking at it. This may seem extreme or even a bit silly, but looking at all of the things that I can't and don't have just stirs that American greed. That is how I start to believe those "lies from the pit-of-hell".

There are other little examples, as such, that I could share. But considering this is already a long comment; I suggest examining the small things that are influencing that area.

I am praying for you sister; this is a BIG challenge of mine as well.

BTW...God has also broken my Walmart bondage...LOL

Stacy the Stupidest Missionary said...

Holly Ann-

I enjoyed your post. Alot of what you said hit home with me. Before Dan and I moved to Liberia I really did not understand the value of a dollar bill and fell into many many traps of our society. After living there a year I will never ever look at money the same way again. After you go to a third world country it just changes you. The Lord has taught me alot in that area and the cost of the lesson was very very high. God Bless you guys we are praying for you!

The Gjerstad Family