Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I love my new church!

I cannot say enough good about my new church, Mid-Cities. It is not perfect - it is made up of people just like me. At some point, I will be offended or hurt while being there. It is a family, don't we always get hurt or offended by family? But when that happens, I will pray through it, and do as God directs! We work it out!

What do I love about it? Well, they love people! That is my heart, and I believe that is the heart of God! People! They are constantly seeking ways to take the the people in this family from where they are to the next step in their faith journey. Isn't that what it is all about? Aren't we all supposed to be growing from glory to glory? But the cool thing about Mid-Cities is that they don't just talk about it, they do it! Wow! What a concept! They don't have it all figured out. They don't have the road map or the 10 year plan...well, not as far as I know anyway. They just ask what the people need then try to get the tools in their hands as quickly as possible. We just joined a few weeks ago. Do you know one of the questions that was on the member information sheet? What is your dream for the Kingdom of God? Really???? They want to know what my dream is? They want to know what God is calling me to?? I went from a place that specifically told me, "We will walk with you as a person, but we will not walk with your ministry." That would be great if I knew how to separate the two, but as far as I know, I am one in the same. And now I have found a place that cares about what God is doing in the lives of the believers that He sends to them! Wow! What a marvelous concept.

Funny thing is, we visited Mid-Cities when we first moved to this area almost 5 years ago. I couldn't hack it. It was too much for me! I just wasn't ready spiritually. I still had God in a box! My box wasn't big enough for the God this church serves. That is a post for another time.

The leadership and the people of Mid-Cities believe in the power of God! I LOVE THAT! They pray expecting things to happen. They encourage us to pray expecting things to happen. They believe the sky is the limit as long as God is at the wheel. Praise God!

Daniel, our senior pastor, is younger than me. I love that too! But there are seasoned saints on staff as well. There is a balance! We need the ones who have been there and done that! Daniel is a wonderful teacher. If you want to hear some really practical sermons for walking with God, check out the website: www.midcities.org.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you guys have a great church. There is nothing better than being in a church where there is true love between the Saints- we have been blessed to have a church like that also.

I was reading one of your posts a little ways down about how the goings on of Liberia can really wear you out....it is easier to just walk away it can be so maddening at times....it's like a crazy making machine over there- they eat people's sanity but thank you for not giving up the fight.

Liberia is an extremely hard country to minister in any way to. I have seen the devil drive so many good people out of there - we need to pray for Addy's Hope fervently that you all will not be strong in the Lord.

God Bless
The Gjerstad Family

Tiffany said...

Whoops! What a ding bat- I accidentally wrote that we need to pray that you will not be strong in the Lord....I meant that you WOULD be strong in the Lord...

Okay....I need to go drink some coffee now..

Stacy (for the Gjerstad Family)