Friday, May 20, 2011

The Rain

When I went to bed last night, I had a peace I haven't had in months. Yesterday couldn't have been more perfect!

I have a confession to make. When I left the house yesterday, I wasn't all that excited about the day. In fact, I kind of just wanted to get it over with. I didn't want to have to pretend like I had all these warm and fuzzy feelings that I really didn't have. But this is a testimony of the power and blessing of obedience! Despite my less-than-excited feelings, I made time before we left to ask friends to pray for the spiritual side of our day - that this act would bring about supernatural healing for Paizley in all the broken places of her heart - and I spent time in prayer myself. But I have to say it was more of a check list thing - prayer: check! But God can use even our checklist actions to work for His good!

I'm not sure when things changed, but I think it happened when I was on the stand being asked if we understood that we were accepting her as our child forever with all the rights and responsibilities of a blood born child. As I looked back and forth from the lawyer to Paizley, as I saw the excitement mixed with fear in her eyes, my hardened heart softened. I wanted her to know my heart's desire! What I didn't realize is what must have been occurring in the heavenlies at that moment! I still don't know for sure, but it was big whatever it was!

The day truly was perfect. Even as I blogged and posted the pictures last night, I wasn't totally aware as I am this morning of what had transpired yesterday! I had a very hard time going to sleep because for the first time in months I was at peace - perfect peace. That sounds like I should have fallen right to sleep, right? Well, I wouldn't let myself because that peace has been so hard to come by these past few months that I was afraid falling asleep would put me back in the place of unrest. I eventually dosed off....

I woke suddenly to a noise on my window. I laid motionless to hear again. It was rain! After almost a year of drought, it was raining! I immediately said a prayer of thanks and rolled over to go to sleep. I woke up again when John got out of bed to check and make sure the sunroom wasn't leaking. I hadn't realized how hard it was raining! I kind of half joked with myself, "Oh God, you sent rain for us!" Meaning for John and me! Several months ago we had a word spoken over us about refreshment and the latter rain. John even had a dream about rain and felt it had spiritual significance. Little did I know that little joke was much more I now believe.

After a couple of kids coming in afraid of the thunder and a couple more trips to check the sun room leak, we went back to sleep. I was startled awake again by a rapid knock on my door and a very scared "Mom?!" Took me a minute to realize it wasn't one of the little kids. It was Paizley, "I'm scared!" Without sharing details, let me just say I immediately knew the significance of yesterday's events! I also knew in that moment that the rain was for us! Not saying it was only for us, but totally know that God used it as an encouragement that HIS rain has started! Physically and for our house spiritually! A great victory was won in the heavenlies yesterday! I don't begin to understand it. I have felt spiritually ill-equipped to handle and complete overwhelmed through this journey since Paizley came to live with us. I know that we underestimate the spiritual aspect of what goes on in adoptions! I am learning that full well! But I know that the enemy is ticked off! He knows his time with this precious young lady is coming to a close! He may have had access to her in the past, but she now belongs to a home that is covered with the Blood and he will no longer have that access to her! Praise God!

I haven't spoken a lot about this side of things because - well, even when I talk about them with John or close friends, I feel weird. I sound like a freak describing a sci-fi movie! But I am guessing there are other adoptive families out there dealing with spiritual battles that they may not even know are spiritual! I don't want them to feel alone! I want families who are about to embark on an adoption journey to be more prepared spiritually than we ever have been to handle what my be coming their way! We, as adoption professionals, talk about all kinds of things to prepare families, but I have never heard anyone talk about what may be entering your home spiritually! I am not a hyper spiritual person and am sure not saying to look for a demon under every rock or go crazy on this thing, but the last 24 hours have proven very enlightening in this matter of adoption and the spirit realm! With the finalization of this adoption - with the words spoken by me, John and Paizley yesterday, we made a covenant! We made a decision to be a family. We created a physical picture of what Jesus did for each of us at the cross and we then accept his adoption of us as His children by entering a personal relationship with Him! By so doing, we took back ground that is rightfully ours from the enemy! He no longer has open season on one sweet young soul! Oh sweet victory! Not sure my feet will touch the floor today! And it has been a LONG time since I have "felt" that way! Thank you, Jesus!!!

And for all you friends who stood by us in prayer, THANK YOU! You may not have even known what you were praying for or about, but He did and He answered your prayers! I have no doubt that it was the prayers that stormed heaven that allowed the events of yesterday to break free what they did in the spiritual realm! When I didn't have the strength to pray it myself, you did! Thank you!

No comments: