Monday, July 9, 2012

Knowing God's Will

I have often said when contemplating a decision that needs to be made or looking for which direction to go in life that I wish I could receive an e-mail from God with the directions spelled out.  I don't say that anymore.  Not because at times I still wish it was that simple and clear cut.  I still with at times I could write Him my questions, like a tech support, and He sends back the answers.  Yes, that would be A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! But I have also come to learn that the reason God doesn't do that is because it requires no relationship!  When I have a question about a program that isn't working or a website I can't find the answer on, I look for the "contact us" button and send a request for information.  I then get an instant message or an e-mail with the information I need - I never have to engage with the person on the other end of the computer!  I don't even know their name most of the time.  If I have learned anything over the past 15 years of trying to walk in relationship and not just legalism with my Lord it is that He values my relationship with Him above all else!

So when I ask Him for direction, He is not going to send an e-mail from His tech support! He is going to draw me into Him.  He is going to ask me to spend a  little more time with Him than I do for daily maintenance.  He is going to ask me to sit a little quieter and listen a little closer to His still small voice.  Romans 12:2 states it this way, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."  That's pretty plain!  God is telling us, if you want to know the answer, spend time with me and in my Word!  I am not making this a mystery!  But I am not going to send an e-mail or write it in the sky with an airplane, either!  He wants us in His word transforming our minds.  That is the only way we can test and approve His will!  But if we do that, we can know His will.  No secrets.

I was reminded of this again recently as we heard God ask us to walk in a new direction in an area of our life.  I can't share details right now, but will soon.  Basically we were like Abraham....God said pack up your stuff and walk.  That was it.  No direction for where the end of the journey was.  Just walk.  Now the logical, mathematical me doesn't really even know how its possible to take off in any direction when you don't know the destination.  But Isaiah 55:8 quickly reminds me that my ways are not His!  Can I get an Amen to that?!  If I said in the midst of being asked to walk with no direction to walk I was not completely frustrated, I would be lying.  If I said I wanted to turn back and go to where we just came from just to be in a familiar place, I would not be truthful.  And if I said it didn't make me question if I had heard God at all in this area, I would be leading you astray.  John and I both prayed relentlessly in this area and both felt God telling us the same thing - W.A.L.K.  But it wasn't until we finally decided in our minds and committed to walking, with out turning back, that God gave clear direction.  It is just like Joshua 3 when the Israelites are crossing the Jordan into the promised land.  God required the priests to step into the water before He stopped the water from flowing.  The last time He stopped water from flowing for the Israelites, Moses only had to stretch out his hand.  This time God required a step of faith, a step of obedience before He made the path clear.  As soon as John and I determined to walk in obedience, not turn back to what was familiar or give up for lack of direction, but trust and obey, God provided the rest of the answer for where we were to walk!  It was just like a door opened as soon as we agreed to obey!  I had to smile when I realized what had happened.

So many times when we are asked by God to wait for an answer for whatever reason, we start to doubt our ability to hear Him or get clear direction from Him.  The enemy loves to put those doubts in our minds.  However, the scripture is very clear.  1 Corinthians 2:16 tells us in plain language - we have the mind of Christ!  We don't need an e-mail from God!  We have His mind already!  We only need to sit still long enough and spend enough time in His word to know without a doubt what His good and perfect will is!

I love that about God.  He truly is not into guessing games!  If I don't have a clear answer or direction, it means I need to sit longer with Him.  It may mean I have some sin in my life I need to deal with in order to hear God's voice or it may mean I have to open to what the answer is...even if its no.  Or it may just mean He wants to spend a little more time with us, preparing us for the answer.  But it never means He doesn't want to give us the answer.  The answer is on its way!

1 comment:

JanLeo said...

HollyAnn thanks so much for sharing this today. I was sitting and have a few minutes with the Lord and reading his word and then read your blog. I am going thru a very big "rough" patch right now and had been wondering if I had not heard the Lords answer to some of my questions. But first you made me realize that I have not because I asked not - or at least in this situation didn't ask the right way and let God know my hearts desire. I know this is something God already knows but he wants us to have our hearts desire but he wants to have us ask, seek and find. I am reminded yet again from your words that it is NOT always my time but HIS!
This's is part of my devotion I read today and your words reminded me of his -

The Bible gives us promises, hope, and encouragement. God promises good to those of us who serve Him. Despite the adversity of our circumstances--and some people have absolutely terrible situations--God still promises good. Our sense of goodness, however, may not be the same as God's. Getting what we want immediately may not be best for us. Sometimes waiting is the best thing because it helps develop the character of God in us.
In our impatience, we often take matters into our own hands. I say we get "bright ideas"--plans of our own, which we hope God will bless. These plans open the door for confusion and chaos. Then their results must be dealt with, which often delays our miracle. (copied)

I realize now that this is what I have done. I want to sit back and wait on his promises for me and for my family - no matter ow hard the time seems!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and words! Awesome reading!