Wednesday, October 10, 2007

vent.........

Sometimes working in Africa is just a royal pain! Yes, I know this is my calling and callings are not always easy (seldom easy, actually). But this morning has been filled with frustrations! First off, just I started my day praying over my schedule because this was one of those days that had more things to do than time would allow! So I wanted to make sure God was the one ordering my steps and not me. One of the things I knew I had to do was call the Consular's office in Liberia to ask about a case with a new little boy in our orphanage. After finally getting through to the Embassy, TWICE I was disconnected when whoever in they transfered me to in the Consular's office picked up the phone. If I was calling the US, no big deal, but I'm calling Africa and it takes 2-3 minutes just to connect! So when I FINALLY get to talk to someone, they don't wait for the delay in the phone and start saying, "Ello! Ello! Ello! I just keep talking figuring it will get to them here in a minute and they will stop saying that! He doesn't want to give me to the Consular as usually. He says hold the line and I say ok. I hold for FIVE minutes (I am on my skype phone and it has a counter, so I know exactly how long I am talking) then the phone starts ringing again. The guy I was talking to answers the phone. I say I am holding for the Consular. He asks me who I am again, and I go through my whole spill. He says hold the line and I say ok. Then a lady gets on the phone and I go through the same thing again. She says, hold the line and I say ok. THEN a man gets on the phone and says, "I am the US Consular, may I help you?" And me in my West Texas way of being blunt, say, "You are? I thought Ms. Gurski was the consular!" To which he replies, there are more than one. I ask his name, he tells me (he is Liberian- pretty well making it clear he is not the US consular!) then in a very irritated voice asks me for my name, I tell him who I am and relay the message that Ms. Gurski has told me to call when I have a question. THEN he says, she is on the other line would I like to hold for her? By this time I have been on the phone almost 12 minutes, and my money is about gone on my account, so I said I would call back later. Did I mention I called yesterday too and was told she was busy?! Sometimes I think it would be easier to fly over there and meet face to face than try to make a phone call!

On a brighter note, my wonderful mother in law surprised me by calling and saying she was going to be in town and wants to come babysit Ava for a few hours this afternoon so I can work! So I am going to take her up on it! I am blessed with fabulous in-laws! Thank you God!

2 comments:

steffany said...

I'm sorry you had a frustrating day. I am thinking of you. Thank you for all you do.

Emily said...

God uses days like that to make sure you are committed to His call good or bad :) and Look you passed with flying colors..... :)