Thursday, February 14, 2008

A little about Toben....

Ok, I know I haven't blogged since being home. I have been way overwhelmed with all that has happened with our issues in Liberia and settling into four children. This weekend was the closest I think I have ever come to having a complete nervous break down. Poor John, he just wants me to be happy! Things have been better this week, but still God is working on me to let go and let Him!

Ava has been EXTREMELY jealous, which means I am constantly having to monitor her and Toben. I think Noah has felt a little displaced, so he has had some issues we have dealt with. Nothing extreme, just everyone trying to find their place in the new family dynamics. Callie has been wonderful! She has been a huge help and takes care of Toben like a little mommy! We do have to remind Callie and Noah from time to time that Toben is a human being, not a toy or a pet! He has his own mind to know what he wants to do and when he wants to do it.

Toben (John just didn't like Obadiah enough to leave it, so we are making the transition to Toben) is doing great! I am just amazed! He acts like he has been here his whole life. The only issue we have with him is going to bed, but I don't know of a single little 3/4 year old boy that wants to go to bed! Each night is a little better, tonight there was not fits or crying! He is sleeping through the night for the most part. If he wakes up in the night, he calls for me, so I just have to go in and tell him it is ok and to go back to sleep, and he usually does. If he gets up, he comes and knocks on our door. That cracks me up because our other kids just barge in, but he stands there and knocks! So I always know when it is Toben that is up! :)

Some fun facts about Toben:
*He LOVES bananas! He would eat 10 a day if I let him. I bought 7 pounds yesterday, so we will see how long they last! I have never bought so many bananas in my life!
*He has the best laugh ever! It is a deep belly laugh and he uses it freely! He laughs all the time! There is not build up, just a huge laugh every time he finds something funny or gets tickled!
*When he smiles, his whole face lights up! When he gets really tickled, his nose even gets a dimple in it! ;)
*He plays by hitting! We are working on that. We are having to learn how to interact with his siblings with out hitting. When he gets wound up and is having a lot of fun with them, the hitting starts. He is not being mean, just playful, but he is a stout little guy!
*He is already growing! He is wearing 24 month clothes, but this morning when I put his jeans on him, I noticed they are just almost too short! This after being home just two weeks. That amazes me! They are fed well in the home, but I guess it is just a different nutrition and with a more balanced diet, they just shoot up!
*He freely gives hugs! He is very affectionate which I love but was shocked by because their culture is not one of affection.
*He didn't know how to kiss! He has hugged us from day one, but he hadn't kissed me. I kissed him, of course, and he saw me kissing the other kids and them kissing back. So a few days after being home when I was changing him into his pj's (which always provides opportunity for a wrestling match or tickle fest!) he jumped up and kissed me on the lips! I was so shocked, I think I just stared at him which made him a little nervous. Then I just scooped him up and kissed him right back! He has given them freely since then! But it was so cute! He didn't know what to do with his lips, so he just made the sound that we make when Ava kisses us, but didn't "pucker". Now he is working on the pucker part! It is funny to see him try to figure it out! Just something we take for granted with our other kids.
*He had his first experience with Mexican food this past Sunday. He LOVED it! He will make a great Texan! He picked up the salsa bowl and just started drinking! I had to tell him to put it down and use a chip to eat it or he would have emptied all of our bowls! He put the bowl down, but got out his spoon! :)

I have some precious pictures, and will try to post some of those this weekend. They are not loaded on my computer yet, but I will try to get them on here.
That gives you a little taste of how we are doing. I am just in awe of how God puts the perfect children in the perfect families! He just fits in perfectly with all of us! He even stayed with Nana and Granddad for a few minutes while John and I ran to Target! He was great with it! I just can't say enough about how well he has adapted. He has his moments of fits, but that is good because it shows he is comfortable. But overall, he is a very compliant, fun, energetic little boy! Just perfect!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to hear he is doing so well!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Now that just makes me sooo happy! YEAH God for Toben Petree!!!!

Oh yeah, everyone tells me what a cutie he is in my pictures. haha

Instantly Mama said...

So glad to know he's doing well. Toben sounds like a sweetie and a lot like his brother. I can't wait to see him! On the hitting thing, you should probably talk to Anita because I remember she said that Bright did that. Apparently it was a game the adults played with him in Ghana. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do it in Liberia too.