Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thursday in Liberia







Today was an awesome day! I really don't have the words..in fact, I was asked by the press to explain my excitment for the day, and I couldn't find anything to say! Shocking for me, I know! But let me try to explain for you.....



All I could say to John when I would call is, "I wish you were here!" I really don't know how to describe it! The day started with the press coming for a press conference here at the home. They set up a table that Amos, myself and one of the reps from the adoption coalition (actually the rep that is from the agency that we were adopting Eden and Addy from...God really does have a great sense of humor!)sat behind. Then the press set in chairs in front of us. Pastor Paul, an amazing man that is a friend of Amos that I have met on this trip said a prayer for us and Amos introduced me. When Amos sat down, all the press jumped up and put the video recorders, etc in front of me! I looked at Amos and said, "Wow!" and they all laughed! I explained our heart for Liberia, what we have done in the past, what we are doing now and named the families who have done things like the well, scholarship, books, etc. Then I asked if they had any questions. Boy did they! Wow! They HAMMERED me! One right after the other! But it was amazing! I don't really remember all that was said or asked...it was one of those times that you know the Holy Spirit was moving because I didn't think, the words just came! One of the questions was, "Since adoption is legal, what problems are you having and what ministry is the issue?" I nailed it! I just stuck it all out there and told exactly what had been said and done! I am usually really cautious for fear of retaliation, but I guess it needed to be said because it was out of my mouth before I knew it..totally not like me!

I could tell they were skeptical of what I was saying. One so much as said, so how will you make all these promises...and I said, "God!" I told them none of this is from me to begin with! It is what God laid on my heart, and I will continue it until He says stop.
From there, we went to the site of the new orphanage for the ground breaking. On the way there, I had about 45 minutes to think about all that I had just said. There were several things that I thought back on and went, "What?!" Where did that come from! One of them was that I told the press that we would have teachers who were trained to US standards at the school. What?! I have NEVER thought any such thing! And now I have told this group of men this?! If you know me, you know that my word is valuable to me! If I say, I mean it! I had said it, now what?! But even in that thought, God provided an idea. One, John and I could move there for a coupleo f weeks with all the kids this summer and train the teachers ourselves (I love that idea, John didn't like it so much!) or we could "hire" teachers who would be willing to go over there for a semester or a year on a missionary type job and teach while Liberian teachers observed and team taught. Then the American teacher would gradually turn the classroom over the the Liberian teachers. What a cool idea?! We could provide housing and minimal salary (what they would need to live here). That raises the money issue again, but since Kami's comment on my last money temper tantrum, I decided I wouldn't worry about it, trust God and plan to get busy on that when I get back!

So we arrived at the site and all walked to where the building will be put. The locals were busy clearing the brush. When everyone got there, we gathered around one of the remaining palm trees. It was just our little group and the press (no officals came that said they would, surprised?!) , but God was there! I don't know why I have been blessed to see the visible hand of God this way, but you could just feel His prescence. Some of the men from the village were there too, and it was amazing! Pastor Paul did the dedication and said a prayer that I know made the heavenlies shout for joy! It was awesome! I believe that there is a good chacne Pastor Paul is God's choice for a pastor for our church there on the compound! He is really amazing and has been a real encouragement to me on this trip! I am hoping to get him started in one of our school rooms as soon as the building is up!


Then we broke ground! Jeremy was all smiles as he should have been! What a time! We sang Liberian song of thanks. It was so good!








After we dedicated it, Amos said, "Come on HollyAnn, let's go find the end of the property!" Sure, I thought, I would love to. Mind you, I am in dress pants with very wide legs, a dress shirt and heels! When he grabbed the shovel and said he would take it "just in case", I should have caught a clue! So off we went. And I was in the bush! I even had to take off my shoes and pull up my pants to walk through the creek that runs through our land. I did fall once, but when you fall in the bush, there is lots of soft greenery to catch you...doesn't hurt...well, nothing but our pride! We walked all the way to the end. When we got there, there was a cool breeze off the ocean and a really tall, beautiful palm tree, we all just stood there. It was so quiet! I said, I think I can just reach up and touch God right now! And I got goose bumps that lasted for thirty minutes!




This evening, our story was on Star radio. After it aired Amos' phone started ringing! They did a fabulous job or reporting it. They stated we had a ground breaking ceremony, said that we would have a home and school, said we had $55000 USD for the project, then ended it by saying that we were having difficulties with the Ministry of Health, but hoped that they would be resolved. I nearly cried when I heard it! I knew God said "do a press conference", but oh I was scared! They can twist things here like no ones business! It was obvious that two or three that were here were not really that excited about adoption when they came, but by the time they left, they were laughing and joking with me and asking personal questions about the program. It was so neat!

Also, it was on the same news that the Executive Mansion released a statement that it is no longer rumor that the cabinet is being totally "shuffled". They said to expect changes in every ministry. This could be great for us! I really believe that the President is looking at adoption carefully and we will be protected in the new positions. We had already heard rumor that one official that we have BIG issues with would be leaving, but we didn't know if it was true. So please add to your prayer list that the men stopping us from processing adoptions smoothly would be removed and pro-children, pro-adoption, Christian people are put in those positions! This could be a HUGE opportunity for us!
I am going to leave you with a song the children taught me! They sing it very loud! It is just priceless! So here you go!
God is our Father
Jesus is our Brother
The Blessed Holy Spirit is our Guide
The Devil's no relation
I am a new creation
I'm a member of the family in the sky!

6 comments:

Prayer Pals 4 Orphans said...

What an amazing day!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy and Kamina Johnson said...

YEAH!!!

The Star Radio spot will most likely be here http://www.starradio.org.lr/

Crystal said...

Very exciting!!!!!!!!!! We ahve been praying for you all and you look beautiful HollyAnn!!! You can see God's love and purpose shining on your face : )

Jen said...

We are keeping up and praying for you! I hope our part of the story helps to get more children home soon. If you have a chance, can you please take a few pics of P,E, and N for us. We are praying for God to make a way!

Love you and your work in Liberia so much!

Jen said...

We are keeping up and praying for you! I hope our part of the story helps to get more children home soon. If you have a chance, can you please take a few pics of P,E, and N for us. We are praying for God to make a way!

Love you and your work in Liberia so much!

Colleen said...

Hi.
I've subscribed to your blog.
You were wondering how to bring The Word to those who can't read...this is a great tool for those that don't have a power source, either.

http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/proclaimer

My pastor had one of these in church...AMAZING.