Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Monday Night

I am really not sure where to start! This is my fourth time to Liberia, but my first time to not stay in a hotel. The hotels make it seem like a mini vacation. Staying with no working shower and no a/c makes it a bit different! I don’t get to “escape” Liberia at night when I go into my air conditioned hotel room with great power, sour, etc. So this trip has been a bit more challenging. I have official appointments tomorrow, and I am not quite sure how I am going to get my hair dried and make up on with the buckets of sweat that poured off of me this morning! Not having hot water is really not a problem as the cold water feels wonderful! J
The other major difficulty is going to the bathroom! I thought it was tough with four kids, try 60! I have little voices calling through my bedroom window, “Mother HollyAnn, where are you?” To which I try to ignore….that doesn’t work, so I say, “go play”! We repeat that several times and I am finally asked if I am in the bath! I say, no, but I want you to go play! That one leaves, but with in a couple of minutes, a new little voice is starting the routine over!
But for those few downfalls, there are great benefits! I carried baby Solomon on my back tonight until he fell asleep. I rocked Courage to sleep, and then held Matthew and played with him on my bed while my country director and I figured money for the next month with all the new kids! Then I had a heart attack looking at our overhead! Well, not really, but I thought about it! God has always provided, so I will trust Him to continue to do so!
The kids LOVE to have their picture taken and then want to see it, so I am swarmed when I have my camera on my neck! I finally had to go put it up so I could walk without falling over anyone.
We got one major thing accomplished today – We decided on the land to buy and put a down payment. The papers should be all ready to go by Wednesday. That means Jeremy might actually get to break ground this week! That is really exciting!
I have the same issues this time as I always do! I wonder why it is that they think America has it so great? They are so much happier here, so much more appreciative of little things. But then again, I think of my a/c and the little things that make life easier. Two totally different worlds, yet I think we have so much to learn from each other! But as I hold these kids, I am furious that what we are trying to do to help them and others is made so difficult by the government! Why would they not want any of their people to have an easier time? Very frustrating! I just pray that when I meet with these people that God will give me the boldness to say what I need to and the strength to hold my tongue when I need to do that as well!
We are planning a party for Saturday where we will hand out the gifts from the families. For the boys, nothing will top the soccer equipment that he brought! Boots (cleats) and jerseys were the big hit! And of course they needed new balls already as they played too hard with the others I had sent and busted them! I didn’t know you could bust a soccer ball, but evidently it is possible!
I am tired, so I am calling it a night. Still not totally sure what I will get accomplished this trip, but I just felt God said “Go!” So I came. Praying I will remain obedient and accomplish all that He has for me!
Good night from Liberia!

3 comments:

Emily said...

So glad to hear from you! I am sure that first hot shower in an a/c room will feel amazing :)

Jeremy and Kamina Johnson said...

Thanks for posting! I hope that your appointments went well today. That is so great about the property!!!

Sarah B said...

We are praying for you HollyAnn! Thanks for posting! Thanks for rocking baby Courage to sleep, I can't wait to do more of that myself! Blessings on all of your appointments!
Sarah