Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Other Side

This is a picture of the other side...the stereotypical other side of the tracks. I don't live in a big city, so I don't think you would call this inner-city, but it shares many of the same characteristics of the inner-city you find in Dallas, Austin, LA, etc. I've always known it was there, but lately, it seems to be calling my name.

Callie is in the gifted program which in our school system means that she goes to a different campus for two days a week. This campus is on the other side of the tracks. She rides a bus from our home school, so I don't find myself over there very often. However, the last couple of times I have had to go, I find myself a little lost and wanting to stay that way! I don't want to leave the neighborhoods filled with tattered houses and grass less yards. I want to know the story behind each door and each window with a sheet hanging for a covering. There was a house on the corner that was for sale. I even for a second wondered if John and I could buy that lot and build a house to move into that area. Wouldn't that give my critics something to talk about!

I want to know these people! I want to know what they need. I want to know if they know Jesus, and if they don't, I want to provide what they need for them to hear the gospel, believe it is real and accept it! As I drive around, I can't help but think, "I don't have to go to Africa or Haiti to find poverty and desperate need!" I want to see these people through the eyes of Jesus!

On the heels of my drive today when I took this picture, God would arrange coffee with my friend Shanna who went to Liberia with me in August. Through our conversation we realized we have the common dream of opening a maternity home. But wait, I talked to my other friend Susie a few weeks ago about opening a safe house for children rescued from the human trafficking industry. And then there is the dream to provide hope and resources for mothers who want to keep their babies. And then there is the dream to find homes for all the children in foster care in Texas...and then the United States...and then the world! And then there is the homeless population that is growing right here in good 'ol West Texas that needs just a boost in the arm to turn their lives around. And then there is a dream to open the coffee shop that will raise money for orphans and ministries all over Africa. And then there is the thought of providing resources to families who are about to lose their children to the system simply because of poverty. God and any one else who has worked with "the system" knows that "the system" doesn't need any more children! Especially when all the family needs to keep the children is a bed or a few hot meals a week. Oh yeah, then there is The Journey that I still have the to do list for!

Whew! My head is spinning, but more than that, my Spirit is stirring!

I see it! I am the visionary! I see the end, but how do I get there? Any doers out there want to jump on board and get this visionary to the end?! I believe I am on to something here! I can think of three or four ministries right here in my home town who are already working towards these goals. What would happen if we, the BODY OF CHRIST, worked TOGETHER?! What could God do then?

God has already given me the sight of the maternity home. My friend Emily and I risked our lives to walk through it one evening. Had our husbands known the building we were walking through, they probably never would have agreed to watch the kids while we did such a crazy thing! Even after we walked and laughed through the whole needs-to-be-condemned apartment complex, I had the nerve to call a contractor to come look at it and see what he thought! He tried to be nice! He wasn't trying to squash my dream....but he really didn't even know what to say to me wanting to use that old place. What he didn' t know is that I had already marched my little 'ol self (well, that might not be an accurate description) around that building and claimed it as "Hope Home: A Home to give Expectant Mother's Hope". Some day, on that very spot, a house will stand that will house expectant mothers! And the Birthing Center run by my friend Shanna is just right down the road to the North...and our office as well as the Life Center is just right down the road to the West. And the tracks...well, they are just about three blocks south!

Hang on folks! This is going to be a gooooooood ride!

God, You have placed these dreams and visions on my heart! You know my desire is to love the least of these and to hear the cries of the poor, destitute and weary who are in need of You, but are not very receptive to Your message yet because they don't even have a place to sleep or food to stop the ache in their stomachs. I want to be your vessel to provide whatever your people need in order to bring them to a place where they can here of You and accept You! You have taken me to John 15 for this year. As I read these verses with these visions you have given me swirling around in my mind and spirit, I am asking you to provide the money, resources, people, talent and the buildings we need in order to bring these visions and dreams to reality! God we want to bear fruit so that you may be glorified! Bring forth your fruit!
In Jesus Name I lay this request at your feet,
~Amen and Amen!

No comments: