Monday, November 12, 2007

Love the Lord with everything.....

So three times now in the past 48 hours I have had Deuteronomy 6 come up. The first time was at a luncheon I went to with my mom and Callie. The speaker challenged us to make Deut 6:5 our family scripture for the seasons. Here is Deut 6:5-9

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

I know when scripture repeats itself like that in my life, I need to take notice. So I have been pondering these verses. What does it really mean to "love my Lord God with all my heart, soul and strength"? Its easy in the quiet of the morning when I am alone with my coffee and God. I can pour out my heart, my soul, my strength and love Him! But then the world, the world I am to live in but not be of, starts to awake. The demands of my family, my home, the adoption ministry begin. What does it look like in flesh and blood form to love God with all my heart, soul and strength through out the day? I don't have the answer to that yet!

The rest of the scripture goes on to say, "these commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts, impress them on your children." I fail so many times at doing that! As my children left this morning, did I ask, "Did you talk to God this morning?" Nope! I said, "Did you make your bed?" Not that making their bed and doing their chores are not important, but what am I really impressing on them? Is it more important to the kingdom that they had their beds made this morning or that I stopped and had a Bible study time with them? That thier hearts were "made" with the will of God for their day?

Tonight before they go to bed, we are going to have a family meeting and talk about this scripture! I will have to confess to my children that I get distracted by this world, but that I want them to know that I long to love the Lord with all that I am and I want them to do the same! I am so thankful that the grace of God covers my shortcomings! Bless my children for being raised with a scattered mother! :)

No comments: