Monday, November 26, 2007

What's her name?

This weekend Callie, Noah and I were watching a new Christmas movie I had bought at the Christian store called The Christmas Child. It turned out to be about a man who had been adopted and goes back to look for his birth family to know his story. I got kind of nervous when I realized that and Noah was sitting next to me, so I said a quick prayer that he wouldn't hear anything to disturb him and if he didn't need to see it that I would know that and turn the tv off. I felt that making a bigger deal about it by turning off the tv would be worse, so we watched. Noah didn't pick up on too much for the most part, but when they told the man his records were sealed, Noah asked what that meant. So I told him and assured him that was not how they do things now and that we have information for him. We watched a few more minutes, and then he said, "What was her name?" By this time, my mind had moved on and I didn' t know what he was talking about! So I said, "Whose name?" To which he replied, "My nother mother" So I told him. He said, "That is pretty" and that is all that was said.

Those conversations leave me with so many questions! What is he thinking?! Did I give him enough information? Did I give him too much information? Noah has been told that he was adopted from the beginning. Obviously adoption is a huge part of our lives, so before Ava came along, sometimes I think Callie felt neglected because she isn't adopted! But Noah is starting to ask more questions about his birth mother. He never asks about his birth father, which is interesting to me. I always try to just answer the questions and not give too much additional information and see what he does with it. But for him to be asking those questions, I know he is thinking about it. His teacher (another adoptive mother) said he told the class the other day that he was adopted when they were talking about a story they read. She got emotional telling me that he was so proud and so secure in the fact that he shared it just like everyone is adopted! That made me feel good and I think of that when I start worrying that his questions mean he is having issues. Sometimes I hate all the information out there that tells you your child WILL have issues with being adopted! That is just not true! He could have issues, but so will Callie and Ava. So I need to quit worrying, answer the questions and be thankful his birth mother gave him life and gave me the chance to live life with him! I can't imagine my life with out my little No-no! I love you, son!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog you have.
We also have a Noah who is 12 and we STILL call him "No-No". :)

-Kim

Not Betty Crocker said...

I love this story. Thanks for sharing it. You are a good mama. My Mother and I recently had a conversation about "adopted child issues" and she said the same thing you do-all children (biological or adopted) have issues and struggles and problems-that's life.

Your children are blessed to have you as their Mom.

Lila

steffany said...

Oh Hollyann,

I love your honesty! I love your heart! I love your dedication to your calling! You lay it all out there, and I love you.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story.

You are so honest and open. Your son is very fortunate to have you as a mother.