Monday, August 16, 2010

Chores and More!


I posted on my facebook page that my new system was really working! At 4:00, my kids had not watched TV at all and 3 of the 5 were sitting on the couch looking at "I Spy" books TOGETHER! It was Noah and Callie were 2 of the 3...they are the worst fighters, so this truly was amazing!

I had several ask on facebook what the new system was, so I decided I would blog it...easier to put pictures and description than on facebook.

I can't take credit for it, though. My friend Emmy was the one who came up with it and inspired me to do it...I just tweeked it a bit. Those of you who know me well know that systems and organization do not come naturally for me! I am a come say come saw kind of person. To have a set routine or system is not natural. So the fact that this is up and running a whole week before school starts is nothing short of a miracle! I am so pumped and so proud of myself! :) And anyone reading this should know that if I can do this, anyone can do this!

The basics are that the kids need to be spending more time moving and working on making things in their life better (ie: reading The Word, working on their basket ball shots, tossing the football, kicking the soccer ball, reading a book themselves, or reading to a younger brother or sister) rather than sitting and vegging in front of the tv. We all sat down and discussed things they could do besides watch TV. They get 30 minutes of free tv/technology time a day. If they want more, they have to earn more. These are the things we came up with for more tv or technology time. This is posted by their ticket holders.


(all chores must be checked and work approved by Mom or Dad before tickets will be issued, remember “whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” Colossians 3:23)
 Read (minute for minute)
 Stay Outside past the required 30 minutes (minute for minute)
 Babysit, play with Baby Girl, Ava, etc (minute for minute)
 Put up Mom and Dad’s laundry (10 minutes per load)
 Pick up dog in backyard (1 hour)
 Clean mini-blinds (15 minutes)
 Clean baseboards (15 minutes per room)
 Sweep off front or back porch (15 minutes per porch)
 Read to a younger brother or sister (minute for minute)
 Clean out a closet (30 minutes)
 Exercise (minute for minute)
 Any activity pre-approved by Mom or Dad to earn time


I also have these ground rules up by the tickets:



TV and Technology rules
 You may only watch/play 30 minutes per day unless you have earned time tickets.
 All chores for that part of the day must be done before you can watch/play tv or any technology.
 You may only watch/play for a total of 2 hours a day unless a special movie or event is happening and Mom or Dad has approved the extra time.
 Tickets can be accumulated and used for longer movies or events.
 It is your responsibility to look at the guide or plan ahead and earn time needed to watch shows or movies that are longer than 30 minutes.
 Family movie time does not take away from you tv/technology time


When one of the kids earns tv/technology time, I give them a ticket (the ones you can get a big role of that people use for door prizes at carnivals, etc) with their name and how much time they earned on it. They then put it in their ticket holders which are the little colored boxes hanging on the wall in the laundry room. They are just index card holders that I got at Wal-Mart for $1 and put velcro on the back and on the wall. I put them in order from youngest to oldest so that everyone can get to their own box and put their tickets in it.

The files will be for their school work and notes. They will have to put anything I am supposed to sign in the folder, then I will sign it and put it back for them to get and put back in their backpack the next day. I hate kids following me around in the morning when I am trying to get kids out the door wanting me to sign their papers or notes. I tried to do this last year, but we didn't really have a good place to do this. I found this hanging file holder at Mardel's a local teacher supply store. It is great! And even has enough spaces for all our kids with room to grow...and John has his own file so I can put his mail there. Right now it goes in a holder by the door and it overflows often and looks tacky. So I am excited about his folder too! ;0)

Trying to apply Love and Logic also so that my responsibility in whether or not they get papers or notes signed is minimal and their responsibility is heightened. Plus as we grow as a family, the more necessary this becomes. But I believe this is a good thing! If I just had two kids, I would probably do it all for them....I would have totally immature, co-dependent children! That is probably one reason God has blessed me with 5 kids! He knows I can't do it all, so I actually teach them what I should be teaching them!

No comments: