Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Journey: Court Update

We went to court this morning. The good news is that the court approved the change of plan to termination. The sad news is that we are now seen as the enemy by Baby Girl's Mom. She definitely has had a change of heart about willingly signing termination papers...in fact it has changed to: I will not lose another of my kids and I will fight to the end.


I wish she really meant that. I wish she meant she would fight to the end meaning she would get a job, get a house, do her services....change her life so that she could provide the home Baby Girl needs. But unfortunately what we saw today was "fight" means blame everyone else for why she hasn't done things up to this point and then tell us she is going to do it all now. I hope she does.


Do I want to love Baby Girl? No! But at the same time, I have always said that until the judge says she is mine, she is not mine. Do I love her like she is mine? YES! Would I be devastated to lose her? YES! But ultimately, she is not mine to loose...at least legally.


It was a hard morning just because we have tried so hard to be the neutral party just coming in to help out. But I knew at some point, that would change, and it seems that today is that day. Her mom left without even saying good bye to us or her mom. I wish she knew how much we all care about her and truly want her to turn her life around and would help in any way we could if she would just make that first bit of effort. Baby Girl's mom's mom is a hero in my books! She truly loves her daughter! I have only been at this for five months, she has been at this for years! She has taught me a lot about a mother...and a grandmother's love!

Trust seems to be a word that comes up a lot in my time with God lately. And this situation is no different! Where do we go from here? We trust! We trust that God's plan is best...not my plan that I want God to follow, but truly trust God's plan. I selfishly ask for that plan to include Baby Girl remaining with us, but ultimately, God calls me to trust HIM...not an outcome!

We trust and we wait! We have a review court date in November and another permanency court date in February. Nothing definite will be done until February. So for now, I will love this Baby Girl and thank God for every day that I get to kiss her chubby cheeks!

Oh...did I tell you her new word? "Momma"! None of my other kids said "momma" before "daddy"! So I have to brag just a bit! We are now up to two words...."bye-bye" and "momma"! I think she is a genius! :)

No comments: