Friday, April 11, 2008

Crazy for sure!

Ok, I just posted about how depressed and in the pit I am. Yet, there is this familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach......I long for a baby! I truly have lost my mind! Two of you who read this are responsible for this issue! Two of our adoptive families have answered God's call to bring home children while they wait for Liberia to get their act together so they can bring their Liberian children home....one of these precious families is also expecting a baby through pregnancy! Go Courtney! Well, I was fascinated, so I asked one of them how they came to find these precious children. Funny thing, these two blamed the other for their blessing! At any rate, one of them, Carolee e-mailed me the link to the referral service where her precious little girl came from. She said to look at my own risk and I was silly enough to bookmark it! Before Carolee sent me this link, I had not looked at a situations site in two years! I told her it is all her fault! She gladly accepted blame! :) I would LOVE to have a newborn AA baby girl! I want hair to braid! I know that is crazy! But it is something that is deep in me that I can't shake...and John says I can NOT grow out Toben's hair to braid it! :(



I feel my biological clock ticking! I have always told John I may drive him crazy right now, but I truly don't see myself as a person who once kids are about grown having this overwhelming desire to have a baby. I want to have time after children to follow more of my dreams to work in adoption on a larger scale. (Courtney, this is for you!). I told John today when I am old and gray, I want to start a free domestic adoption program! That would be a dream come true for sure! But I am not getting younger, and my baby is almost two and poopied in the potty for the first time this week! So it is time for a baby around here!

Having said that I confess that I e-mailed about an AA baby girl due here in Texas at the end of May. The only thing standing between us and her is about $24,000! So John said look at the state to see if they have any availabilities. So I did. I know they never have babies on their sites, but I found these statistics that just made my jaw drop! (Note, these statistics were BEFORE the 416 children were removed from the polygamist compoung in El Darado outside San Angelo about 2 hours from here!)

Are children available for adoption in Texas? Yes, through both public and private adoption agencies. For example, in 2004, Texas had 10,047 children in the welfare system waiting to be adopted of whom 553 were under the age of 1 year, and 3,535 were between ages 1-5 years old. The actual number of children adopted through Texas public child welfare agencies was only 2,556, which represents only a small portion of the total number of all Texas adoptions (exact numbers are not available at this time).

Did you see that???? 10,047 children!!!! That is a whole town! What are we waiting on? Maybe I should do this even in my pit!!! The Christian community HAS to step up! Children need us...children right here in our own back door! I don't have to go to Africa to find children in need...there are 10,047 right here in my state...just one of 50 in this great nation we call home! But I know I am preaching to the choir here since all my readers are adoptive families! :) Thanks for letting me get on my soap box for just a minute there!

In Texas, they are actually looking for churches to step up and help with this issue. This is off the state departments website:

Prior to 1875 the faith community was the institution that dealt with the miss treatment of children. We would like for the faith community to get involved again with the mission of helping abused and neglected children.

Child Protective Services (CPS) needs foster parents for children of all races and ethnicity's, ages newborn through 17. CPS also is seeking adoptive families for a wide range of children with a special emphasis on older children and sibling groups.

In FY 2007 CPS received over 241,000 reports of child abuse and neglect, completed 163,466 investigations and confirmed that over 71,000 children were victims of child abuse. The state of Texas is asking for your help. We understand that as an agency we can not care for all the children in the state alone. Sometimes it takes a congregation to raise a child.



John doesn't know this yet (he fell asleep on the couch while I was doing adoption searches hee!hee!), but I put in a request for information from the state department for foster/adopt. There is an informational meeting (we went to one in 2000 in Lubbock) on April 22. Maybe we will go........

5 comments:

Emily said...

Seriously.....don't I have enough on my plate without knowing that........ ;) Now I will have to start a blog that says....its HollyAnn's fault I am thinking this.......

Crystal said...

Emily said it all!!! I have to confess to looking into domestic placement here in MI. But, alas I am already up all night as it is : ) Praying for you!! YOu have such a special heart for God!!

Not Betty Crocker said...

This is so weird! I have really been feeling a pull toward foster adopt which is crazy since our 2 from Haiti aren't even home yet. James looks at me like I'm crazy when I mention it. April 22nd huh?

Jeremy and Kamina Johnson said...

Praying for you and the direction God is leading you down.

Karen said...

We have a program here in Colorado called Project 127 (you'll have to check out their website) but it is established by a church and it's goal is to get all chilren out of foster care. They work with some of the counties here side by side...very succesfull!