Sunday, July 13, 2008

Happy Birthday, my Love!


My hubby turned 34 yesterday! He loves to tell people he married an older woman. We graduated the same year, but I turned 34 in December. It is kind of funny because I usually dated men considerably older than myself! Anyway, we celebrated John's b-day with my family with a home made cake and then the kids and I surprised him with another cake(and trick candles - the kids' idea) at a small group swim party we hosted at our house.

John and I got engaged 11 years ago this June. Our marriage has not been an easy one. I know no marriage is, but John and I have had some pretty big obstacles to overcome. Unrealistic expectations and baggage have haunted our relationship from the beginning. But I have NEVER doubted that God told me (before I knew God 'talked') to marry this man. I know God gave me that assurance 11 years ago because He knew it would keep me dedicated during the hard times.

In those hard times, I tended to focus on how lucky John is that I didn't leave him. That I stuck by and stayed dedicated (yes, I know how conceited and self-centered that sounds!). But what I am realizing as the years tick by and I watch marriage after marriage fall apart around me is that I am just as lucky that John has stayed committed to me and our family. That he has not chosen to walk out or take the easy road when things got hard. For that I am truly thankful and blessed!

So on this, his special day, I am so thankful that God made John fearfully and wonderfully. That God chose to bring a little boy into the world 34 years ago that would be my soul mate! Thank you God! And thank you John for a lifetime of memories...and more to come! I love you! Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Happy Birthday John from the Archibalds. And HollyAnn - we have so much in common, more than you know! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday John!!!!

Jeremy and Kamina Johnson said...

Happy Birthday John!