Thursday, August 14, 2008

Oh no they are not!!

John found this article while I was in Liberia, but forgot about it until today. You can read it here. It is an article about a US bill being presented to the US Congress that would give the Liberian government $180 million for the fiscal 2009. This is just the first year of a five year plan. The article also says that since 2004, the US has sent $1 billion in aid to Liberia!

Folks, this is our tax dollars going to the government that refuses to follow its own laws! I am all for the US helping Liberia! BUT if it goes to the people in government that I have been dealing with it will only go to build them nicer homes and fund the education fo their children living over here in America! It will nto help one single orphan in Nimba county that will go to bed tonight hungry and lying in vomit because they are sick with malaria and have no medical attention!

Do you want your tax dollars going there? I don't! I would challenge you to write the congressman sponsoring this bill and ask them how they expect this money to improve Liberia when the current government is still corrupt and refuses to follow their own laws! As US citizens we have the right and RESPONSIBILITY to ask these types of questions!

Please, don't sit idly by! Be the good Samaritan and at least write a letter or make a phone call to help the children who really need this money! Ask the congressmen about their bill! Lets be educated on this issue!

I will get the contact information of the sponsoring congressmen and post that when I get it!

Fighting for them all.......

5 comments:

Ginny said...

I am more than happy to make phone calls as soon as you post the contact information!

Ginny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginny said...

That was me-who accidently posted my comment three times and had to delete two :)

Not Betty Crocker said...

Me too! Get me contact info and I'll gladly fire off a letter. When you write about Liberia all I see in my mind's eye is Haiti. The similarities are astounding and the governments corrupt with a capital C!