Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Whose fighting for the children?


I talked to my friend who is a lobbyist (very successful lobbyist!) for the persecuted church in Darfur and China. I asked her advice on starting a human rights campaign for the children of Liberia. Her suggestion for a first step was to Google human rights in Liberia and see what comes up. Well, so far, there is no one fighting for the children! I am shocked! The most helpless population of a country that has a grim future, and there is no organization fighting specifically for them....well, that is about to change!

There are many groups fighting for women, and this is needed also! But as far as children, there is nothing out there that I have found so far. There are a few organizations that touch on child soldier issues, but as we get further from the war time, those are not going to be children either, but adults as well.

I am shocked by what I read. I guess I never realized how grim Liberia is! I have only been in Sierra Leone and Liberia in Africa, and they are pretty much the same to me. I guess I thought all of Africa was like that...I really thought Liberia was pretty progressive for Africa. But their reports I read say the exact opposite! They paint a very bleak future for this country. Children are on the streets. No one is educated. There is not enough funding or man power to even touch the human rights issues among adults much less the thousands maybe millions of children starving on the streets of this country!

I don't know what the plan of action is, but I know God has told me I can't look the other way! Some one must fight for the children! I don't really know what that means at this point, but I am about to find out because God has asked me to fight, and I have agreed to walk in faith and obedience! So here we go!

No comments: