Friday, October 31, 2008

My least favorite day of the year!

I am always so thankful for November 1! It means that I have one whole year before I have to deal with Halloween again.

I know that Halloween had "religious" beginnings, but it is my firm belief that those have been altered by the world. I had some misgivings about Halloween early on in my life. But it wasn't until I was in college that my convictions became solidified to the point that I stand firm in my belief that for us, this is not a holiday to be acknowledged.

I was working with a youth group at my home church when I was attending college. One Halloween for the youth meeting, the your minister invited the local Police Chief to our meeting to share about what he sees at Halloween. What he shared made an impact on me that even 15 years later stands firm in my mind. I didn't live in the best part of my college town, but I had a wonderful little house and even better neighbors that watched out for me. But just three blocks from me, by a park was an abandoned office building. What the Police Chief shared was that on Halloween every year, there were blood sacrifices performed by the Satan worshipers. The place where the sacrifice was performed was marked with the blood to show what had occured there. That building had a sacrifice in it the year before....it was marked with human blood! This means that a person was killed there as a sacrifice to the enemy.

God used that testimony to show me that I don't understand all that happens in the spiritual realm, but that there is a battle that is not of flesh and blood but between the spiritual forces of evil in this dark world and the Angels sent to fight on our behalf from the Heavenly places. For someone who grew up in a very traditional home where spiritual warfare wasn't ever a topic of conversation, this was a pretty amazing realization.

I went home after that meeting and threw away all my Halloween decorations. I had never had anything scary anyway...just cute little ghosts and witches that I thought were harmless. They probably were, but for something so real, I didn't want to even leave a crack in the door for the enemy to enter my home.

This conviction carried over to my children. I have never allowed them to participate in Halloween. When John was a principal, they would dress up and go to the fall festivals, but even now I regret that. My kids don't understand. They think I am a horrible mom for denying them this "right" to dress up and trick or treat. But this is just the beginning of me having to takea stand with my kids that might not be popular. And frankly, being popular is not what God has called me to as a parent. As they get older, they have a little more understanding of my belief and conviction, but it is still a battle every year of why I don't let them dress up and get candy. It seems so innocent to them.

So just one more ways that I am a Jesus Freak! I think responses from people on this are very interesting...I do not sit in judgement of people who participate in Halloween...I just wish I could get the same from them. This is a personal conviction that God laid on my heart. I don't pass that long to anyone else, but for me to not abstain would be in direct disobedience to God. I don't make a big deal of it, and in fact don't say anything unless someone asks what we are doing for Halloween or what my kids are going to be. Then I just say, we don't participate in Halloween. That is when the attacks usually come! Sometimes, I do wonder, are they attacking me because there is some truth that rings in their Spirit that brings conviction that they don't want to hear??? But regardless, once again, this year, there are no costumes or candy at the Petree house! We will be going ot our church for a petting zoo, chili cookoff and hot dog party! I am excited about that! Every other year, we have gone to Toys R Us and made our Christmas lists for family! (great idea if you need something to do tonight! There is NO ONE at Toys R Us on Halloween night!).

Less than 24 hours now until this will be behind me for one more year! Then there will just be something else for people to judge me on because of my radical convictions! :)

5 comments:

Jeremy and Kamina Johnson said...

There are other holidays that had "religious" beginnings, but have been altered by the world.

Karen said...

I am with you. Duane & I can't stand Halloween either...besides the spiritual meaning in it, why do kids need another day to say "give me". When our girls were young we tought them that "trick or treating" was when you can get dressed up as one of God's people in the Bible or one of Noah's animals, make a bunch of cookies and go to a retirement home to GIVE them away. We loved this and miss doing this. Now that is even hard to do, because of all the other crazy people that want to harm people.
When we moved here to Colorado we noticed that Halloween is a BIG deal here. Everyone has their homes decked out like it was Christmas. Lindsay just asked us yesterday why we don't carve pumpkins anymore, and we confessed that we just didn't want to be part of this holiday in anyway because we don't want to be conformed by the world. But tonight we will be going to the church's harvest festival. Something that all the churchs in California had...not so many around here. Very concerned.
You said that you were going to "our church" tonight...is that true? Do you have a church that you call yours now?

Anonymous said...

I think it is good that you stick to what God has convicted you to do because that is so hard when you have kids that want to participate. My mother never let us celebrate Halloween and I hated it also because my school would get to have a carnival during school hours and I would have to set in the classroom and do nothing while all the other kids went. I respect though that my mom stuck to what she believed in--she also heard about the real sacrifices that happen and did not want to even acknowledge the holiday. I wish I could say that because of her influence I do the same with my kids but I don't. So, even if your kids gripe about it now they will understand as they get older and seeing your devotion to what God has spoken to you about Halloween will be something they always remember and look up to you for.

Chip said...

We were not allowed to celebrate halloween growing up; once I made a Holy Ghost while other children were making their halloween ghost. We haven't fully made up our mind about halloween, but one thing is for sure...the commercialization of halloween is about drive me up the wall. Halloween has gotten to be as big as Christmas!

whenpigsfly said...

You GO Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love your blog; I smile and say "AMEN" a lot while I'm reading you and your other followers too!
Linda

come visit me at www.smithsoup.blogspot.com