Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Both sides of the coin

In my Bible study this morning, the question was posed, "Does a 'no' from God mean He doesn't love your or that you aren't acceptable to Him?" I started writing out my answer that the TRUTH is that a no from Him doesn't mean those things, but I struggle with that. I started writing that when God doesn't act according to my behavior (ie: I walk in obedience so He makes everything go just as I planned!), I feel unloved....but as I wrote those words, I heard in the back of my head, "Do you really want God to act according to your behavior?!" Ok, I know I am a slow learner! And this attitude reflects pride in my life, obviously! But my truth is that I want God to act according to my behavior when I step out in faith and do the big things he asks...like adopt a child from Africa, or walk with friends through tough times, but when I fail in my daily struggles..turn to ice cream instead of Him when I am overwhelmed with trip preparations, I don't want Him to add the extra pounds to my body that my choice would bring! So basically, I want it to be one sided...God I want your grace when I fail, but when I do the right thing, You "owe" it to me to work it all out for my good! That is obviously an issue I need to work on! God just doesn't work that way, and I am so glad He doesn't because then He couldn't be God!

But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. Romans 6:17-18

8 comments:

Danielle said...

OUCH!! This hit really close to home for me, as I've had similar feelings. Thanks for sharing this...it has given me a renewed perspective.

Congrats on the passports, it's always a relief to check it off the list:)
Blessings,
Danielle

Brandi said...

Amen. . thanks for sharing and for, as Danielle put it, a renewed perspective. what study are you doing?

Brandi

missy said...

Hi HollyAnn, I'm such a dummy, I didn't realize you WERE or should I say ARE Addy's Hope. That was such a sweet comment you made on my blog and you too brought tears to my eyes.
Great post, thanks for sharing what God is teaching you.
Love,
Missy

Ginny said...

You are not alone in this...

HollyAnn said...

Brandi, the study is called "The Journey" and it is awesome. I am on the second one in the series. It has a lot of self reflection which isn't fun, but has made me deal with a lot of my junk! I am doing it with a friend...we meet at a local cofee shop every Tuesday morning to discuss what we have learned, or are struggling with. It has been a good!
Blessings!
HollyAnn

HollyAnn said...

Missy, You are funny! I don't really think of myself "as Addy's Hope"! :) I don't advertise who I am when reading/commenting on blogs usually....I like to just be an adoptive mom who struggles the same as everyone else....even if I run the ministry doing the adoption! :) But I just had to comment on your post because it just took my breath away when I realized we were the recipient of your donation for your Gotcha day!

Thanks for stopping by! If you decide you want to add another little guy/gal to your family, I would be honored to walk with you in that!
Blessings!
HollyAnn

Brandi said...

The Journey. . .who is the author or publisher? I'd love info. . everything you've quoted from it lately sounds amazing!

Love,
Brandi

HollyAnn said...

It is written by Melissa Haas. She is a friend of my friend who is doing the study with me. I will find out how to get it, and let you know, Brandi!